Last updated on November 17th, 2022 at 11:33 pm
Nowadays everything is measured with numbers. How many peoples are following you? How many views are you getting? Who is the most active social media influencer? Questions like these are very common. Due to this much hype, many agencies want to encash this situation by giving a fake boost to the social media profiles of some persons.
What are Fake Followers?
Check your Social Media accounts and notice:
- Do you have any fake followers?
- Do you see some unusual comments on your posts?
- Do you have unnecessary dm in your inbox?
- Is somebody is being impersonated to your knowledge?
When a follower hides his/her identity or mentions the wrong identity and details or when an account tries to impersonate someone, in any of the mentioned cases, the account is fake.
It is also not necessary that the account is some human being. There were many reports about social media bots and other ill strategies.
Let’s read about some of them, why they created, and what were mishaps related to them.
A small track of fake account reports:
- Twitter deletes 20,000 fake accounts linked to Saudi, Serbian and Egyptian governments.
- Instagram Deletes 174 Million Accounts In December 2018.
- LinkedIn blocked 21.6M fake accounts in the first half of the year, as scrutiny of social media giants grows
When you go through these blogs, you will be surprised to know how many fake accounts prevail on social media. All the major tech giants like Twitter and Facebook are continuously imposing strict rules to curb these fake accounts from time to time.
Why are fake accounts created?
Everything comes at a price and so is the count of online supporters. Big names need a large number of social media followers. Sometimes, some of them try to get this the other way, the paid followers.
Problems like impersonation come into play when somebody wants to take revenge or wants to pull out useful information about someone by threatening them using fake accounts.
Sometimes fake accounts are created on purpose. There are many hidden companies that are making money through using the dark web. They create fake accounts and sell them at a price.
How serious is the issue?
The gravity of fake accounts is that it has taken many cyber cells of our country on high alert after a series of criminal activities appeared related to the usage of fake social media accounts.
The most vulnerable victims are teenagers who don’t have much idea about fake accounts or cyberbullying. So the concern of fake ids must be taken on very seriously note.
How to identify a fake account on various platforms?
“Internet is a necessary evil”. To use it safely, we have to know about the safety guidelines, We have to learn how to identify fake accounts. Let’s make it quick with some useful points
On Social media sites like Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook:
- Less number of followers: Have a Low-Quality Followers List
- Fake profile or no profile picture: To conceal or duplicate someone’s identity
- Unusual usernames: With random digits or alphabets
- Posting unnecessary stuff or no stuff at all: To mark their presence
- Random comments on the posts of others: To gain attention
- Pointing to some ad-heavy websites: In their Intro section
- Uncertain Engagement Ratio: Comparatively negligible engagement
- Connected to other fake accounts: With a very low-standard profile.
On Professional sites such as LinkedIn:
1. Having a fake name and an incomplete profile.
2. Random picture or stick image in the LinkedIn headshot.
3. Very less number of Connections.
4. Either unnecessary posts or no posts at all.
5. Engagement with other connections.
How can I identify Fake Followers?
Social media is the latest time pass nowadays. So, “BEING CAREFUL BEFORE COMMITTING” is the key. You can take several precautions on your account to prevent your data, account from any kind of misuse:
- If possible, check your follower list regularly, either weekly or monthly.
- If you find any suspicious account or any suspicious activity on your account, check its credibility by using basic tactics from the above-listed criteria.
- If you find any known misconduct on any such account, report that account with the proper reason.
- Before following any new account, cross-check its authenticity with other colleagues or friends.
- Share your pictures on social media with caution.
FAQs on Fake Followers
Contact me for any kind of suggestion or information.
Please Subscribe to my newsletter for getting more such updates.